dimanche, août 31, 2008

race report: Nike Human Race

On 31 August at 1730hrs my 2008 race season came to a close. And I have no race scheduled in the near future.

That makes me happy. =)

But back to the topic, which is about my last race for 2008, the Nike Human Race.As the name implies, today's event was about the entire human race running the same race on the same day in different geographical locations in the world. A truly global event that only a company like Nike can pull off.

So anyway the Singapore edition was supposed to start at 1615hrs, a truly runner friendly time (if the heat doesn't get to you maybe the vehicle exhaust fumes will). Headed down to City Hall and got hit immediately by a tsunami of red. Bernard still tried to be funny and told me to look out for "the guy in red" when I called him. Very funny. Managed to locate him and dsb after some walking and we headed down to the start.

At 1615hrs, the starting gun went off. At approximately 1630hrs, I finally crossed the starting line. No I exaggerate, but you get an idea of how packed the starting pen, and consequently the entire race route, was.

We ran down Shenton Way, did a little loop around Marina South, then headed towards Clarke Quay before running down the 100m along Esplanade Drive to the finish. Funny how Nike managed to mobilise the undead, the untrained, and the PES C2L9s to turn up. Coupled with the narrow roads, it was more a wayang walk and there were times when I felt as though I was at Orchard Road on Christmas' Eve rather than an athletic event.

If there was anything which Nike excelled at today, it was gender representation. =P

And that was enough to convince me to come back for more next year, if they do organise another one in 2009.

Nike Human Jam Race 10K 2008.

Just did it.

Aucun commentaire: