jeudi, novembre 22, 2007

getting the hang of it

Went for a swim in between classes just now. Didn't expect to enjoy today's session given my form on Monday, but I still dragged myself to the pool anyway. In the end I surprised myself because I felt strong throughout the entire 1.5km distance, and I even managed to push myself a little at the end which is surprising given my "fondness" for swimming! Weird.. Did somebody sneak in some EPO in my food today? =P

Anyway, ever since I stopped cycling due to the cold I have been focusing on my swim and run, and oh yeah tennis also. Sometimes it gets a little difficult to head out considering the gloomy weather and my massive inertia, but when I get out on the open road or when I get my strokes right in the water, I just get a kind of indescribable feeling. Kinda like a groovy kind of love, but not quite that.. Haha. Of course I get all contemplative and stuff (all long distance athletes do), but there's another kind of feeling which I get, something which empowers me so much that I feel that I can just go on and on forever.

Psychologists call it athlete's high, for me its just a way of life. Just like how some people are addicted to smoking, to mugging, or even TV series, sports is my drug. I love the feeling of moving my limbs, of the wind in my hair, of the pain and suffering, and of the endorphin rush. In a way I battle my own demons each time I workout; my body says no, my brain says no but I say yes. And what satisfaction I get when I find that I can actually go past my own imagined thresholds!

Invariably in life, everybody sets some limits for him/her-selves in some area be it education, career or maybe just personal goals. However, these are not rules set in cement and they can be broken! Sadly, many people do not realise that they do have the power to do it, and thus many chances are lost and many dreams just remain as, well, dreams. Yes of course sometimes life gets in the way of our plans, but with enough passion and perseverance, I believe that anything is possible.

So go on and find that switch in you and turn it on today: Carpe Diem! =)

Aucun commentaire: