jeudi, juin 12, 2008

my big fat greek getaway

The Hellenic Republic. Unofficially called Greece. Host to one of the first advanced civilizations in Europe. Birthplace of democracy, the Olympic games, and of course many important mathematical principles.

So, how could I possibly not visit it?

Caught my flight to Athens from Paris at the rather ungodly hour of 0630, and I only touched down 4 hours later, making it my longest budget flight yet.

Headed almost immediately out for lunch and to sightsee after dropping my bag off at the hostel. I didn't intend (or have the means anyway) to spend much time in the capital so I had to go off on my own everything-about-Athens-one-day-tour.

Athens
First up was the Acropolis. Undoubtedly THE most well known tourist attraction in Athens, or Greece for that matter, it was constructed around 460BC as a fortified city, and most of it is still standing till today. Chief of all the buildings is the Parthenon, which stands proud and tall at the very top. Then there are the multitude of other smaller buildings dedicated to other aspects of early Greek civilization.
the Acropolis

Parthenon

columns at the ancient agora

temple of athena nike

Then I went to the Olympic stadiums, all 3 of them! First up were the archaeological ruins of the first Olympic stadium. It was really huge, and looked like a horse racing track rather than a running track. But then again, people probably raced around in chariots in those days. Then it was the 1896 Olympic stadium, the beginning of the modern Olympic games. A century later, in 2004, it was used for the 2004 Athens summer Olympic games as well. Which brings us to Marussi, the site of the 2004 Olympic village. Kinda similar to the one constructed for Sydney 2000, it was huge and spacious with many beautiful stadia. But because there was no event being held at the time of my visit, it was practically a ghost town. Tant pis.
Olympic ruins

1896 version

back to the future

aspiring Olympians

vélodrome

main stadium

breaking the tape

Zeus' throne
Then I went on a home visit. Specifically, I went to visit Zeus and the other 11 Greek gods, all 2912m up Mount Olympus. Started the climb at 730, accompanied by two older Greek hikers. They were super funny and we managed to reach refuge A, somewhat two-thirds of the way, just a little shy of 3 hours.

Then things started to get really nasty. Leaving the affable duo back at the refuge, I went on my way up. As I broke though the tree cover, soft earth gave way to loose rocks and the mountain really began to rise for the second part of the climb. To make matters worse, it got really foggy as I reached cloud level. Just imagine trying to roller blade uphill in the dark and you'll get what I mean.

But it was all worth it when I got to the top. Didn't make it to the highest peak Mytikas at 2918m because it was too wet and dangerous, so I had to settle for second best with Skolio coming at a close 2912m.

So anyway I didn't manage to see Zeus, or anything supernatural for that matter. What I got, however, was rather heavenly views of the Hellenic mountain range.
olympus in the background

anastatios and palatinos

guestbook at the peak!

beginning the descend

figures in the fog

sitting pretty on the top of the world

This is Sparta
Then I went to Sparta as well, which come to think of it, was quite a disappointment. I originally wanted to go to Olympia, but it was too far so Sparta was it. There was nothing much to do in town, so I headed out to the next town to see some Byzantine era ruins, but they were closed. So I went back, but other than a giant statue of Leonidas, there was nothing much notable about modern Sparta. The only legacy it has from its ancient past would be its military base, which is the 2nd largest in Greece, but unfortunately it was not open to visitors.
just like in 300

Byzantine castle

Island hopping
Of course, no visit to Greece would be complete without visiting its islands. Hence, I headed out to the Saronic islands of Aegina, Poros and Hydra (closest to Athens) on my last day in Greece. Nothing much to write about them as I feel that words alone will do injustice to all their beauty and natural splendour, but all I can say is that the sun, topless beaches, ipod music from café del mar and beer all make for a very heady combination!
traditional fishing boats at Aegina

sailing on the high seas

pristine beaches

how i spent 80% of the day

port of Hydra

So now after having climbed high and dived deep in Greece, I'm now aching all over - from the sunburn, as well as sore muscles from running down Olympus with a group of crazy marathoners.

But its the best souvenir which I got from Greece. Not just any made-in-china beer opener or fridge magnet, but something invaluable and intimate. Something not sold over the counter.

Something called Pain. Joy. Wanderlust. Whatever.

I heart Greece. =)

Aucun commentaire: